Saturday, July 27, 2013

As If You Needed Another Reason To NOT Watch Bill Maher

I subscribe to HBO and I have for many years. Admittedly, I subscribe primarily to watch Boxing on Saturday nights, the occasional movie, and excellent shows like “Game of Thrones”, “Boardwalk Empire” and “The Newsroom”.

One thing that I don’t watch on HBO is the show hosted by alleged “Comedian” Bill Maher.
Now, I don’t watch because Bill Maher is a liberal – I don’t watch because I don’t think Bill Maher is funny and I think he’s hateful.

Last night on Maher’s show, the “Comedian” called God “a psychotic mass-murderer”.
BILL MAHER: Explain to me how a book that’s written by God who’s perfect has so much – it’s pro-slavery, pro-polygamy, it’s homophobic. Yeah, God in the Old Testament is a psychotic mass-murderer. You know, this, I mean, there’s so many things in it. And I always say to my religious friends, you know, if a pool had even one turd in it, would you jump in?

Whether Maher believes in God or not is not the issue, he obviously doesn’t. But to mock the rights of others who are believers, to call God names, to mock the parables that Jesus used to describe God to us, well, that’s downright hateful.


In fact, Maher’s hate isn’t reserved for God – he spews his hate on anyone who happens to disagree with him.
Last week, Maher attacked neurosurgeon (and Conservative) Dr. Ben Carson.

“He’s half brilliant brain surgeon, half Tea Party dumba**. He doesn’t just operate on conjoined twins, he is one,” Maher said.
He also called Dr. Carson “a drooling idiot”.

Now even someone like Bill Maher is entitled to his opinions but, when comedy breeds hate, I think that crosses the line.
So, just as I will defend Maher’s right to free speech, I will also exercise my own right by sending a note to HBO and asking why they are promoting hate and giving Maher a platform to attack a good man like Dr. Carson and God.

And I’ll continue to exercise my rights by not tuning in to Maher’s “Comedy” show.